Nearly everyday here at The Leadership Center, we tell our staff that the work we do here is important. It is special. We create a place where moments that matter can happen. Our guests tell us that quite often as well. And for that, we love what we do.
Earlier this month, we had a very special opportunity. Our staff got to serve the Grothen Family who gathered together to celebrate the 65 wedding anniversary of Paul and Jeanette. They spent the weekend with us reminiscing, laughing and enjoying time spent together while we did the cooking, cleaning and laundry. It was such a treat.
A few days after the reunion was over, Micheala, our Admin & Event Coordinator received the most touching email thank you note on behalf of the family. As she read it to one of our lead cooks, Barb and me, tears welled up in my eyes. We shared the note with our staff as well and it really touched our hearts. So much so, we’d like to share it with you:
Dear TLC Staff,
The Grothen Family would like to thank you for offering a place where we could gather, stress free and worry free, to be together. My father (not a part of this weekend’s gathering) is the Director of a church camp, so I know the hours and energy that goes in to hosting groups and running a facility. I also know that it tends to be a thankless job. In fact, often times feedback comes in the form of what “wasn’t right” instead of gratitude for what was. As you enter what will likely be a busier season for you all, I wanted to pass along some of what you provided for us. Outside of your long hours, daily tasks, preparation, and clean-up, etc., here is what you provided:
- A place for a family separated by distance to come together in one common space.
- An opportunity to laugh, cry, and share memories.
- A place to reconnect, to meet new family members, and to revive old relationships.
- A place for kiddos (and Californians) to explore nature, bonfire, canoeing, and more adventure that their little hearts could stay awake for.
- An opportunity to hear stories of our family history.
- An opportunity to create stories for our family history.
- A chance to soak each other in. To sit with one another without the distraction of TV, cell phones, and the busyness of the world. To enjoy one another, to look into each other’s eyes and appreciate one another, undistracted.
- An opportunity for an older man and an older woman to see their children, grand children, and great grandchildren all together, for what will likely be the last time until one of them is called to their Heavenly home. In fact, they gave a speech at the end of the weekend that ended in “now we can die happy.”
We certainly hope we will be blessed with many more years with them on this earth, however we know the likelihood of that is small. For now, we are so thankful to have had such an opportunity. A gift really. The gift of time and space to be together. This. This is what you provide. It is accomplished through tasks, through early mornings, late nights, and countless hours. However, I hope that you are able to see that what you provide is so much more. What you provided us is priceless. And for that we are so thankful.
Blessings to you all,
The Grothen Family
It was such a treat to serve the Grothens. Thank you for allowing us to care for you and your family.
Maile Ilac Boeder, IOM